Design Sprint – Tour and Multi-center holiday builder

Hayes and Jarvis Holiday Builder Design Sprint

The holiday builder was the beginning of a new direction for this brand – putting more focus on allowing customers to create their own bespoke itinerary online.

Why?

Internally within the organisation there was always the perception that bespoke multi-centres was always ‘too big to build’ but after a mixture of stakeholder persuasion and another project being put on hold the steering board decided to use a 6 week project gap to try out a Design sprint to tackle the problem.

How?

I led the UX on a small multidisciplinary team (design, two developers, analyst, PO) which was formed to work intensively on the problem for one week following The Sprint Book method. The goal was set, journey’s mapped and we picked a target. Stakeholders and specialists were interviewed and this all culminated in a series of ideas which were voted on and discussed.

The prototype

We hypothesised that we needed to meet two major needs here for multi-destination customers – there would be those who knew where they wanted to go (or start at least) and wanted to be able to put together their own itinerary (but using our expert knowledge in feasibility and practicality around destination pairings) and those who needed inspiration – wanted to see broadly what was we have to offer that suits their interests. Our winning idea catered for both of these – but we realised that given the time for build we would need to focus on one.

We decided to focus on the former because the latter was partly already met by our itinerary listings – something we could incorporate into the builder too. So we storyboarded the screen flow for a ‘holiday builder’ on whiteboards, trying to trash out all the details in sketch form before committing to a prototype.

Routes and challenges

The findings of the initial prototype were positive – people understood the concepts and most interactions were understood. We saw some struggles on specific interactions and flows we agreed on neccessary changes to the design.

But overall people were finding the new functionality in the overall journey – understanding how to use it and completing their task of requesting a quote.

A final prototype was produced which formed the basis of the development and more detailed design work.

Even though we had a strong brand some internal marketing campaigns and politics meant that the visual design of key elements became a challenge. I worked through with the Marketing team to make sure that what was produced would be in-line for their turn of year campaign.

The result

The final product went live within the 6 week window and within 24 hours was generating requests which were converting into the multi-centre bookings the business specialises in. It also highlighted that using agile methods a small team can produce a substantial product in a small time window.

Client

  • Hayes and Jarvis

Tags

  • Collaborative Design
  • Design Sprint
  • Prototype
  • Usability Testing